May 09, 2001 R. Millan-Gabet Summary of PICNIC Camera Status =============================== Basically, it was demonstrated during the engineering run of April 2001 that IOTA PICNIC camera works and is ready for observing use. Dewar ----- The PICNIC dewar underwent three cooling/warming cycles during the run. In each case the dewar pumped down to 10^-7 Torr, and maintained this pressure for weeks, as long as the outer can was kept cold. The hold times of the outer and inner cans are approx. 12 and 24 hours, respectively. The detector temperature always stabilized to 84K (the conversion to temperature from the voltage across the sensing diode is made using the calibration curve provided by Lake Shore, which may not exactly apply given differences in the wiring). It is possible however that the cooling time is significantly longer than for the NICMOS dewar: after one hour the PICNIC temperature is only 127K, and it takes a full six hours to reach 84K. These values are to be compared with 100K and 2 hours respectively for NICMOS. A possible explanation (is it?) is that due to mechanical difficulties (see below) I could not use the bottom plate of the cold shield, causing perhaps a significant additional thermal load. Software -------- For debugging purposes, of the electronics and of the FPGA readout, I wrote C++ codes to read the PICNIC camera using the NI DIO-32F card, exactly as we do for the NICMOS camera. These programs are located in the "NICMOS Pentium" PC, in the "picnic" directory. The tests reported here were all done using these programs, which allow basic readout of an entire quadrant, or an individual pixel. Electronics ----------- There seem to be no problems with the electronics, other than the need to better match the range of voltage output (from reset to saturation) to the input range of the ADC, by modifiying (reducing in this case) the gain of the in-dewar pre-amp. However, the exact output range depends on the details of the readout clocking, and therefore I chose to wait until we have the final FPGA readout circuit before I make this adjustment. Preliminary Measurements ------------------------ Time series of 128x128 samples (recorded using the quadrant readout program) reveals that with the input of the ADC grounded the rms of the 16384 samples is 0.9 digital units (du), and 1.05 with the pre-amp grounded. Both those numbers indicate that there is indeed nothing wrong with the electronics. Quadrant frames taken with the detector open to the warm room show a reasonable big blob of light, with a lot of signal in the upper left corner, and decaying towards the edges. At low light levels however (i.e. with the cold plug in front of the detector), the appearance of quadrant frames is not always pretty, but the PICNIC uses a completely different clocking for readout than NICMOS, and we are still learning the fine points, I hope. Using the single-pixel readout code, I recorded a lot of data files in order to (a) characterize the linearity curve of the PICNIC pixels, (b) measure the read noise and gain (conversion factor between du and electrons of pixel charge) using the "Poisson statistics" method, and (3) measure the reduction in noise from multiple averaging reads. These are work in progress. PRELIMINARY analysis of (b) data gives: gain=1.3 electron/du, read-noise=9.3 electron/read (compared to 12 electron/read for NICMOS). However, in the variance vs. mean signal curve, the largest mean flux data points (700 du/sample) fall above the straight line defined by the lower mean signal points (10 to 500 du/sample), and I would like to understand this effect as part of the final analysis (perhaps most of it will get fixed if I correct for the detector non-linearity before constructing the variance curve). To-Do for June 2001 ------------------- (0) Finalize understanding of how the PICNIC array needs to be clocked for readout. (1) This detector seems to have the unpleasant property that it has a funny response for tens of milliseconds after being reset, just like the NICMOS. What exactly is doing that? Is there anything in the electronics we can fix? If not, can we optimize the readout codes to minimize the effect? (2) Due to bulkier assembly to accomadate the double filter wheel, the slot in the bottom section of the cold shield needs to be made wider, otherwise it cannot be used. Also, the holes in the shield for the filter wheel shafts need to be enlarged. (3) Does a cold snout mask need to be manufactured for the classical or IO beam combiner outputs? (4) We need to manufacture something to hold filters in their slots in the filter wheels, unless my current solution using shim cutouts and 0-80 screws is the final one. At the moment we have installed H+ND2, K and the cold plug. We have on hand but not installed J, and H filters. Do we need to purchase more (i.e. narrowband, ND)? (5) Need to make a steel fitting for our dewar vacuum valve, so that we can return the one currently in use to John Geary. (6) I will make a nice interface for the temperature sensing & heating circuit (I know, you've heard that before ...) (7) Need to attach the stepping motors to the filter wheel shafts, and make an interface to control the motors from software. A design has been specified for the motors interface box.