Telescope Data Center
Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
60 Garden St.
Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138
Click here to e-mail me!
Phone: (617) 495-7408
FAX: (617) 495-7467

Jessica Mink

Astronomical Software Developer
Data Archivist
and Positional Astronomer

I earned Bachelors (1973) and Masters (1974) [thesis] degrees in Planetary Science from M.I.T.,
After I got my SM degree, I took some enforced time off from astronomy due to a lack of jobs and developed financial software in Boston at Financial Publishing Company in 1975 and 1976, while still doing some work at MIT in my spare time (helping write my first published paper).
In 1976, I left to develop astronomical software full-time, in lieu of graduate school, at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York from 1976 until 1979, soon helping discover the Uranian rings and publishing my second paper in Nature. More research and publication followed through the 1979 move of my research group to M.I.T., where I worked until 1984.

In 1984, I came to the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory to work on the Spacelab 2 Infrared Telescope (and helped write this paper about its results). Along the way, I developed the graphics terminal emulator for xterm. I am in the list of contributors at the end of the xterm man page on any X-Window supporting system.

Since that project was completed in 1990, I have worked at the SAO Telescope Data Center, developing and using software for astrometry and the reduction, analysis, and archiving of optical and near-infrared spectra and images. Besides a few more pipelines for spectrographs, I have written the widely-used RVSAO redshift computation package and WCSTools image world coordinate system, FITS file, and source catalog package.

This talk summarizes the work I've done in positional astronomy over four decades.

This page explains why there is a different name on my papers before 2011.

Professional interests

View from office window
Sunset out of my former office window
[Bigger picture]

Here are some talks I've given:
Last updated 13 November 2015

Telescope Data Center Occultations