The RVSAO package was developed by
Doug Mink at the Harvard-Smithsonian
Center for Astrophysics from the REDSHIFT package originally written
at Johns Hopkins University and modified significantly
Steve Levine while he was at the University of Wisconsin.
The original package is still available as a contributed package in the IRAF
RVSAO obtains radial velocities using cross-correlation methods
or emission line fits. There are six main tasks in the package:
and several supporting tasks.
- 2.7.3 March 31, 2009
- Add new shell scripts in rvsao$Shell/ to run most RVSAO
tasks on the Unix/Linux command line.
- 2.7.2 March 13, 2009
- In xcsao, add option to shift orders
when cross-correlating echelle spectra.
- 2.7.1 February 20, 2009
- In emsao and xcsao
assume RA is in degrees if decimal keyword value, not hours
- 2.7.0 January 30, 2009
- In sumspec, fix bug which put back
heliocentric velocity correction when shifting to a specific velocity
and delete IRAF WCS keywords if one spectrum is being rebinned.
- Fix error of index in eqwidth so that
it is at least closer to correct. Fix bug so that a lack of a VELOCITY
or BCV keyword does not crash the program. Clean up exposure scaling.
- 2.6.9 December 9, 2008
- In eqwidth, correctly compute Index
and Index Error; Set to 0.0 if no continuum
- Plot line name and wavelength in
emsao and emplot
if only labeling emission lines
- Add emlineshe2.dat He2 line list
- 2.6.8 October 7, 2008
- ) and ( commands were added to
emsao and emplot
to move through orders or apertures.
- 2.6.7 September 16, 2008
- rvrelearn is a new task to relearn all of the parameters from
all of the tasks in RVSAO. Old parameters keep their values; new
parameters will be assigned default values.
- In sumspec, pointing direction is kept
if numbers of input and output apertures are the same.
- 2.6.6 August 12, 2008
- In pemsao set median and quartile
velocity shift, plus mean and median pixel and wavelength shift parameters
for multiple aperture computations.
- pix2wl is a new task to return
wavelength at a specified pixel in a spectrum or if the pixel value is
zero, the range in wavelength covered by the image.
- wl2pix is a new task to return the
pixel of a wavelength in a spectrum specified in Angstroms.
- xcmin.x Check for divide by zero in this correlation peak
fitting program to avoid crashes in xcsao
- 2.6.5 July 8, 2008
- In eqwidth, error computation and 3 additional
reporting modes were added. A bandfilt parameter was added to
indicate whether filter columns are included in the band file
bandcont was added to indicate whether continuum names are present,
and banddir was added to specify a directory for the band file.
- Three new tasks were added to plot spectra: emplot plots
spectra and labels lines, skyplot plots sky spectra and labels emission
lines, and xcplot plots spectra without cross-correlating, acting as
a simpler splot.
- Transform filtering in xcsao and
pxcsao was fixed so that zero-padded spectra
really are unfiltered. The toplo, topnrun, and nrun numbers are
now doubled when zeropad=yes, as they should have been all along.
- In xcsao, pxcsao,
and sumspec, an old bug with log wavelength
SUMS rebinning was fixed. Bad velocities were possible if using log-wavelength
templates which were not created using SUMS rebinning.
- xcsao, pxcsao,
emsao, and pemsao
results printing subroutines were fixed so they have fewer string constants
and will compile on Solaris IRAF.
- getimage.x: Fix recent bug which caused problems if file name extensions assumed
- rebin.x: Compute edges of pixels for SUMS log wavelength rebinning in rebinl()
- CL scripts have been moved into the Scripts/ subdirectory.
- Shell scripts have been moved into the Shell/ subdirectory and suffixes dropped.
- 2.6.4 May 9, 2008
- In xcsao, pxcsao,
emsao, pemsao, and
sumspec, if bad line file line name starts
with "pix", assume that the limits in the previous two columns are given
in pixels instead of wavelength, and interpolate between the spectrum
values at those two wavelengths to eliminate bright emission lines.
- In xcsao and
pxcsao, if removing bad lines between
pixel limits, do the same for template(s); normally only the object
spectrum is fixed.
- In xcsao and
pxcsao, if SUBCONT=F in the object header,
the continuum is not removed.
- In pxcsao, save median and quartile
velocities as parameters for echelle.
- In emsao and
pemsao, if wavelength limit parameters are
negative go in the absolute value of that many Angstroms from the appropriate
end of the spectrum. Save mean velocity to meanvel parameter
and error to meanerr parameter
- In emsao and
pemsao, increase maximum number of emission
lines to 500 (for multi-order ThAr spectra) and combination emisson line
sets from 5 to 20.
- In sumspec, add missing argument in
addspec() call to filllist()
- Add listspec, a new task to print spectra in a variety of
- 2.6.3 February 11, 2008
- Increase the maximum number of templates to 3000
in xcsao and pxcsao,
- Add report mode 18 for TRES results to
xcsao and pxcsao.
- 2.6.2 January 14, 2008
- Fix bug sumspec so spectra can be added again.
- Save mean velocity shift of apertures (=orders)
in pxcsao if echelle=yes
- 2.6.1 October 15, 2007
- Fix boolean check in writetemp.x so
sumspec compiles on MacIntel
- Fix boolean check in xcplot.x so xcsao
compiles on MacIntel
- 2.6.0 September 3, 2007
- Add new task pxcsao to write best template,
velocity, error, and r-value to its parameter file for use in CL scripts.
- Add new task pemsao to write number of
lines fit, velocity, error, height, width, and equivalent width of the
first emission line in its list to the parameter file for use in CL scripts.
- In xcsao and pxcsao,
drop all cache pointers from xcfit.x and rvsao.com.
Add xplt.com containing pointers for plotting buffers in xcplot.x and
xcorplot.x. They are allocated to the maximum size needed and freed
at the end of t_xcsao.x and t_pxcsao.x.
- Fix dropped line in xcfit.x so qplot
- Drop excess commas from prompt for parameter savejd
in bcvcorr.par so bcvcorr works.
- 2.5.9 June 21, 2007
- Allocate all transform vectors in xcsao
so number of bins is unlimited
- In bcvcorr, add printmode,
returned bcv and hcv parameters, and savejd
to separate saving of date and velocity (savebcv) information in image header.
- 2.5.8 June 14, 2007
- In getimage.x, read RA and DEC as strings, not numbers if APIDi is
- 2.5.7 April 6, 2007
- Print last 27 characters of template in xcsao
report mode 17 (-.fits)
- Print object name in xcsao as
"filename_aperture", not "filename [aperture]".
- Fix bug in emsao which caused line finding
to fail if wavelength increased left to right.
- Fix exposure time addition bug in sumspec
- 2.5.6 February 14, 2007
SUMSPEC: Preserve APNUMi keywords when linearizing multi-aperture multispec image
- 2.5.5 February 1, 2007
- Plot all emission lines, if any are specified, in
emsao and xcsao
not just those which were found.
- Do not modify data structure in xcsao
when dropping leading and trailing zeroes.
- Fix bug in xcsao which caused wavelength
range to shrink spontaneously.
- In qplot, xcsao,
and emsao, always label lines after identifying one.
- In qplot, xcsao,
andemsao, add 'l' option to 's' option to set
velocity from identified line with an automatic error of 300 km/sec to
avoid having to type in the numbers.
- In qplot and xcsao,
re-cross-correlate using velocity of identified line as guess on 'f'.
- 2.5.4 October 24, 2006
- Increase maximum number of templates in xcsao
from 256 to 512 (rvsao.h).
- 2.5.3 September 27, 2006
- Fix normalization bug in xcsao to now divide
by mean *before* adding floor.
- 2.5.2 August 17, 2006
- In xcsao, do not use pixels at either end of
spectrum with values of zero
- 2.5.1 July 13, 2006
- In xcsao and emsao
do not read per-aperture info for apertures > 999.
- 2.5.0 June 1, 2006
- In xcsao, add report mode 17 for Hectochelle.
- Extract object name and coordinates from APIDi keywords for multispec files,
so individual object spectra can be correlated or have their emission lines
- 2.4.9 May 19, 2006
- In xcsao, rename the rcomp() subroutine to
rcompx() in xcplot.x and fix bug in xcwhead() so header comment
documenting template entries works.
In emsao, rename the rcomp() subroutine to rcompe()
In sumspec, keep all-zero spectra (continuum fit
and spectrum - continuum are all zeroes, too).
- 2.4.8 March 9, 2006
- Major changes have been made to bcvcorr.
A new parameter specsun to use
the direction of the sun instead of the pointing direction if yes
(for twilight sky spectra). Another paramter was added to indicate
when the specified time is relative to the observation
You must run relearn bcvcorr to add the new parameters.
UT is now decoded from a FITS DATE-OBS keyword value if it is there,
and JD- and MJD-containing keywords can now specify the observation time, too.
In xcsao, two wavelength structures which
are allocated for every spectrum are now freed, eliminating a cause of
memory overflows when processing many spectra in a loop.
In xcsao and emsao,
add ZERR z error to the output file header.
In xcsao and emsao,
fix rcomp() declaration error in xcplot.c and emplot.c.
In emsao, make sure all displays of z and 1+z
are labelled correctly.
In sumspec, always set output BCV
to 0.0; it is always corrected for.
- 2.4.7 December 9, 2005
- In eqwidth, fix bug when computing flux
with a fit continuum.
In xcsao and emsao,
force renormalization if -1 < spectrum < 1, not if max < 1.
In getimage.x, do not append aperture to name if =0.
- 2.4.6 August 22, 2005
- Print ZXC, ZEM, and Z in header in
- 2.4.5 July 28, 2005
- In eqwidth, print multiple output streams
and print zeroes if no flux or offscale.
- 2.4.4 July 14, 2005
- Fix two erroneous calls to mfree() in emsao
which worked OK in Solaris, not Linux
- 2.4.3 May 25, 2005
- In emsao, add report_mode=11
to print line shifts in pixels and print 3 decimal places in
report_mode= 3, 6, 9, and 11.
read PIXSHIFT from header and use it when rebinning for
calibration adjustments and compute needed wavelength vectors
Add pixshift argument to rebin() and rebinl() in rebin.x
to adjust calibration.
In wlcon.x, add wcs_pixshift() and wcs_getshift() and pixel
shift in pixel to and from wavelength conversions.
- 2.4.2 March 25, 2005
Add constant graph scaling to sumspec.
- 2.4.1 March 16, 2005
- Fix bug in bcvcorr so decimal RA's are
correctly converted to hours.
In compbcv.c, fix bug so decimal RA's are correctly converted to hours.
This is an *important* fix for anyone who cares about radial velocity
accuracy to better than 100 km/sec and has RA and DEC in decimal
degrees in their spectrum headers as the magnitude of the fix can be
over 40 km/sec.
- 2.4.0 February 23, 2005
- In eqwidth, debug and add net flux and
various possible ways to scale it.
Fix bug in bcvcorr so keyword values
for position and date can be used.
- 2.3.9 October 19, 2004
- Fix equivalent width computation in emsao
so units match.
- 2.3.8 September 28, 2004
- Add 3 parameters to eqwidth--atrest,
bypix, byexp--to output sky fluxes at assumed rest wavelengths,
normalized by exposure time and the number of rows from which the signal
was summed to be subtracted from an extended object. (but program is
still not tested)
- 2.3.7 August 25, 2004
- Use cont_remove in sumspec instead of
contout to remove continuum from input spectra, fixing a bug.
Fix lots of type mismatches using gcc-based compilers on Redhat Linux version.
- 2.3.6 July 20, 2004
- If velocity is changed using 's'
update the spectrum header.
- 2.3.5 June 16, 2004
- In xcsao, a "+" at the start of the emission
line filename always labels emission lines. In
sumspec, options were added to return the fit to continuum
rather than removing it and to use a list of output files.
- 2.3.4 January 16, 2004
- Print nonspectral dispersion message only in debug mode in getimage()
- 2.3.3 August 1, 2003
- Add the ability to read first extension of multi-extension FITS file.
Eventually there will be new parameters, specext and tempext to
read ranges or lists of file extensions, but not yet.
- 2.3.2 June 2, 2003
- Add smoothing of output spectrum to
Clean up bcvcorr
so it actually handles all of its input options correctly.
- 2.3.1 December 2, 2002
- Fix bug in
renormalization check and boost renormalized spectra
so all pixels are positive in.
Add min, max pixel in xcsao if debug.
- 2.3.0 October 8, 2002
eqwidth task, based on IRAF
noao.onedspec.sbands, to do photometry
on redshifted data at wavelengths specified in the rest frame.
- 2.2.9 September 17, 2002
- Allocate large vectors only once
- 2.2.8 August 17, 2002
- Add report mode 16 to XCSAO for per template wavelengths
- 2.2.7 May 29, 2002
- Add per spectrum velocity shifts to
- 2.2.6 March 29, 2002
- Add per spectrum wavelength (or pixel) limits to
Accept UTSTART as well as UTOPEN for observation beginning time
- 2.2.5 February 5, 2002
- Ignore pixels with values less than MIN_PIXEL_VALUE at ends of spectra
Replace pixels with values less than MIN_PIXEL_VALUE elsewhere in spectra
In compbcv.x, allow use of new keywords OBS-LONG, OBS-LAT, and OBS-ELEV
- 2.2.4 September 19, 2001
- Add 10th result reporting mode to emsao
with line info only.
Drop SPECDIR from file name in headings.
Fix units check in getimage().
- 2.2.3 July 31, 2001
- Change cross-correlation velocity information in header when template
changed interactively in emsao
and xcsao using the 't' cursor command.
Fix pixel cross-correlation so it works.
Add option to ignore zeroed pixels in continuum fit and removal.
Add option in sumspec
to remove continuum after rebinning (contout).
Add option in sumspec
to write each input file to a separate output file
(composite file name is "").
Separate linespec and
source directories from Makespec into
Linespec and Sumspec, with shared tasks into Util.
- 2.2.2 April 3, 2001
- Fix emsao
and plotspec.x in several places to deal with right-to-left spectra.
Plot text info after spectrum in emsao
so it all displays on xgterm.
Match arguments in sumspec
so renormalization works.
- 2.2.1 February 9, 2001
- Fix bug in emsao
so emission line structures are always initialized correctly.
Fix bug in xcsao
to deal with right-to-left dispersion.
Print aperture separately in xcsao
mode 12 report and
- 2.2.0 September 13, 2000
- Add options to xcsao
to cross-correlate in wavelength and pixel space by
changing the "correlate" parameter into a string.
Allow pixel or wavelength limits to be specified for templates in
xcsao so several pieces of a single
template spectrum, such as emission lines, may be correlated against
an object spectrum.
Add two new reporting modes to
, 8 to print wavelength information about
fit emission lines on one line and 9 to print only wavelength shifts on one
- 2.1.27 August 10, 2000
- Fix bug in emsao
sorting of observed lines found by Erwin de Blok at ATNF.
- 2.1.26 August 2, 2000
- Fix echelle mode spectrum number tracking.
Print file name and aperture as title for object and template graphs
- 2.1.25 July 21, 2000
- In sumspec, shift to first spectrum's
barycentric velocity correction if svel_corr is not none.
- 2.1.24 July 6, 2000
sumspec, specify wavelength dispersion by
3 of start and ending wavelength, wavelength/pixel, and number of pixels
Automatically renormalize if maximum spectrum value is less than one.
Clean up debugging code for renormalized cross-correlations.
- 2.1.23 June 8, 2000
- Add equivalent width error to new report modes 0 and 7 in
- 2.1.22 April 28, 2000
- Change years from 0-120, not just 0-99, to 1900+year. Some instrumentation
write 100 instead of 00 for 2000 in the old FITS format.
- 2.1.21 March 6, 2000
- Fix bug in linespec which caused
wavelength to be multiplied 2+Z instead of 1+Z
if redshift was entered as Z instead of velocity.
- 2.1.20 January 25, 2000
- Read SUBCONT flag in spectrum header to find out whether to subtract
continuum. If T, remove continuum; if F, do not. If it is not found,
- 2.1.19 December 8, 1999
- Free spectrum WCS when freeing image stops runaway memory use when looping
through large numbers of spectra in
- 2.1.18 September 24, 1999
- Fix qplot mode of xcsao to update best
template information, including R when a different best template is selected.
- 2.1.17 September 15, 1999
- Fix tab table output in xcsao
(report_mode= -8, -10, -11, -12, or -14)
- 2.1.16 September 7, 1999
- Write CD as well as CDELT in sumspec.
Add gio.h dependencies in mkpkg.
- 2.1.15 August 24, 1999
- Add vel_plot keyword to xcsao and
velplot keyword to zplot, so combination
velocity-redshifted lines can be displayed by default in dispmode > 0.
When continuum is divided out in sumspec,
the new continuum is 1. A new
option for cont_remove, "divzero", divides by the continuum and subtracts
1 so the spectrum can be cross-correlated. This is what "divide" did
in version 2.0 and all previous 2.1 betas, but it is not what you want
if you plan to compute equivalent widths. Read templates from header
if NTEMP is set as well as if CZPARAMS is set.
- 2.1.14 July 29, 1999
- Add tab table output option to xcsao.
In sumspec, copy entire header if
single file in and out, even if there are multiple spectra from that file.
In sumspec, normalize by dividing out the
mean times an input constant.
Add display with continuum subtracted to xcsao.
- 2.1.13 July 23, 1999
- Add tab table output option to emsao.
Replace blank fields with underscore.
- 2.1.12 July 16, 1999
- Fix bug so qplot can update spectrum
headers in both xcsao and
If save_vel=yes and correlate or linefit =no the programs run in
mode, where nothing will be wriitten unless new fits or correlations are done.
- 2.1.11 June 30, 1999
- Fix bug in xcsao which caused template
heliocentric velocity correction and
header velocity to be ignored. In debug mode, note which needed parameters
are missing when the heliocentric velocity correction cannot be computed.
- 2.1.10 June 25, 1999
- Add display modes 4 and 5 in emsao and
xcsao to display spectrum with
continuum subtracted. In emsao, add cursor
commands to interactively modify some continuum fit parameters: C sets
continuum fit parameters, S sets the VELOCITY keyword.
- 2.1.9 June 15, 1999
- Add option in sumspec to zero or fill parts of spectra known to be bad.
If they are zeroed, continuum is fit to an interpolated spectrum, and the
bad pixels are zeroed after the continuum is removed.
Fix fatal bug in linespec
- 2.1.8 May 21, 1999
- Fix minor bug in filllist and change UT from end to start of observation
in juldate.x, adding UTEND to UTMID and UTOPEN as possibilities for computing
the Julian Date in conjunction with EXPOSURE or EXPTIME if the Julian Date
is not already ain the header as GJDN or MJD-OBS.
Try DATE keyword if DATE-OBS is not present
- 2.1.7 May 11, 1999
- Fix bugs so that sumspec can stack
- 2.1.5 March 30, 1999
- Search IRAF database for observatory position using OBSERVAT header keyword
if observatory position is not in the spectrum header, for computation of
the geocentric part of the barycentric velocity correction.
- 2.1.4 March 19, 1999
- Fix logic in sumspec so multiple spectra are summed correctly.
- 2.1.3 March 18, 1999
- Multiply by 1000 when renormalizing so that continuum is not less than 1
so S/N for line search in emsao and continuum
removal in xcsao and
sumspec is a usable number.
- 2.1.2 March 12, 1999
- Fix bug so that no error message is returned if an object spectrum file
cannot be opened READ_WRITE if it can be opened READ_ONLY and no writing
is to be done.
- 2.1.1 December 30, 1998
- Log normalization factor in sumspec
for first spectrum. Fix bug in xcsao to
properly deal with template spectrum lists with pathnames.
- 2.0 31 July 1998
- This release is what is described in our PASP paper, which was
published in August 1998.
- Three new tasks have been added:
bcvcorr to deal with any observatory
parameters which might throw off the inline computation of the barycentric
sumspec to create a composite
spectrum from multiple spectra taken at different times, and
linespec to create an artificial
spectrum from a list of emission and/or absorption lines.
- The unsupported Fourier quotinent task fquot has been dropped.
new parameters include
specify regions of a spectrum to remove before processing.
A line list is provided to remove the regions around night sky emission lines.
better specify which spectra to read from multispec files.
new parameters include
and skyband to better
deal with multispec spectra,
specify regions of a spectrum to remove before processing.
to determine whether area or equivalent width is computed,
lwmax for the minimum and
maximum variation from the mean line width to be accepted, and
the minimum ratio of the equivalent width (or area) to its error for a
line to be accepted.
- Because of all of these new parameters, users should run RELEARN on
any tasks they have used in the past.
- Other changes to tasks include:
Implementing FITS/ISO standard dates so program is
fixing precision problems in the barycentric velocity correction,
fixing the option to divide by the continuum in
xcsao instead of subtracting it,
which is set by a template flag, DIVCONT,
adding the ability to switch between templates in the final displays of
xcsao and emsao, and
fixing a variety of other bugs.
- 1.9 December 5, 1995
- Bugs fixed, but not a major release.
- 1.8 September 28, 1995
- The major change is the ability to use either emsao and xcsao to display
previous results saved in the image header. xcsao has two final displays,
the old one with both spectrum and correlation peak and complete per-
template correlation data, and the emsao display with emission and
absorption lines labelled. A quality flag can be set in the header from
either final display in either xcsao or emsao. If no correlation is
done (correlation=no), only the final velocity information is rewritten
by xcsao. If no new line fit is done (linefit=no), emsao writes out
only the final velocity information, not overwriting the per-line results.
A new task, qplot, was added to check
redshift results after batch runs. There were also many minor bug fixes.
- 1.7 June 1, 1995
- Add continuum removal, explicit emission and rejection limits,
and zero-padding as optional template header-parameter-directed operations.
The boolean zero_pad parameter was changed to the character
zeropad to allow zero-padding to be optionally controlled by the
template spectrum header parameter ZEROPAD.
czinit, which was a yes or no boolean in previous versions of RVSAO has
turned into the character string vel_init in RVSAO 1.7 to allow
an initial velocity to be set from the czguess parameter or from
a previously-obtained correlation, emission, or combined velocity in the header.
Parameters s_abs_reject, s_em_reject, t_abs_reject, and
t_em_reject have been moved to xcsao from CONTPARS as they are
used to prepare spectra only for cross-correlation.
- 1.6 February 27, 1995
- Optionally display the same summary in xcsao as emsao and
allow template-directed high-pass filtering in xcsao so that narrow
line templates, such as those containing emission lines can be used.
To enable this option, square-root cosine-bell filtering is now done
to the object and template spectrum transforms rather than cosine-bell
filtering the correlation.
- 1.5 September 9, 1994
- This version writes more complete results from emsao and xcsao to the
image header. emsao gets larger emission line names and a parameter to
specify the dispersion error, as well as a new summary page. xcsao adds
parameters to allow emission line chopping in xcsao to be controlled by
image header parameters, allowing emission line templates to be used, and
adds optional zero-padding of transforms before cross-correlation to
- 1.4 June 23, 1994
- Fixing many small bugs, this version was never released ouside of SAO.
- 1.3 March 23, 1994
- Improve handling of missing or unwriteable files, add a cursor option to
set peak search width in xcsao, and improve cursor line selection in emsao.
Add and improve cursor commands in emsao and add spectrum editing in xcsao.
Greatly improve handling of multispec files as both object and template spectra.
Add ZVEL CL script to run both xcsao and emsao on a file or list of files.
- 1.2 December 3, 1993
- Handling of multispec spectra is improved. Multispec spectrum numbers
are used whenever a spectrum is specified in text or graphical output.
- 1.1 August 24, 1993
- IRAF MWCS spectrum files can now be read as well as older formats.
- The lesser-used xcsao reporting modes were cleaned up. This is the last
version of RVSAO which can run on pre-MWCS/multispec IRAF (2.08) systems.
- 1.01 February 10, 1993
- An improved help file for emsao was added, including some hints
on using cursor mode and fixes some bugs in cursor line identification.
The heliocentric velocity correction is now correctly applied.
(Barycentric corrections from the image file header value have always
- 1.00 February 2, 1993
- A number of small bugs in xcsao and emsao were fixed, and FQUOT got
further before crashing (sometimes not even crashing). A parameter was
added to the emsao emission line table to allow the width of the spectrum
to be fit for each line.
- 0.99 August 12, 1992
- Multispec handling was cleaned up, and some bugs in the cursor
interaction section of emsao were fixed, especially with regards to
line ID. A variety of bugs were fixed in the way velocity results are
saved and combined velocities computed for SAOTDC archive files and
IRAF image headers. Many small fixes were made, especially in emsao.
- 0.98 April 24, 1992
- Multispec capabilitieswere improved by adding three new parameters to xcsao:
The maxshift and minshift parameters are now in km/sec, instead
of pixels in Fourier space, which should make appropriate values more obvious.
The following parameters have been added to emsao:
- specnum, a list of spectra in a multispec file to be correlated,
- tempnum, a list of spectra in a multispec file to be used as templates
- echelle, which is set to "yes" if the spectrum and template are both
multispec echelle files--the same list, specnum, is used.
Local modifications of the line lists is now possilble without changing the
program, and changes to the parameters of the line fits allow use of
emsao on a wide range of types of spectra.
- specnum, a list of spectra to process from a multispec file,
- tempnum, a list of corresponding sky spectra in the multispec file,
- emlines, a file containing a list of emission lines,
- emcombine, a file containing a list of combined emission lines,
- npfit, the number of pixels to fit around each line peak,
- npcont, the number of pixels to fit around each line continuum,
- wspan, the wavelength to search around each redshifted line center,
- ablines, a file containing a list of absorption lines to label,
- emsearch, a file containing a list of the strongest emission lines.
- Multispec reading capability was added.
- Version 0.96 adds correct parameters for FQUOT and fixes a bug in pkwidth
which would cause xcsao to bomb if a number of points rather than a peak
fraction to fit was specified.
- Emission lines are properly removed if IRAF continuum fitting is
chosen and several argument mismatches are corrected in subroutine calls.
emsao no longer gives emission line centers that are one pixel off.
Last updated August 13, 2008